Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Rewind: Rhett Miller - The Instigator

Rockstar Aimz from My Aimz is True linked to a piece singer-songwriter Rhett Miller wrote for The Atlantic on the ten-year anniversary of 9/11. He was temporarily homeless after the towers came down, and I thought this bit about writing a song amid all the chaos of the day was particularly poignant:
"On 9/11, after my girlfriend, Erica, and I left our apartment, we stopped to get supplies. I saw a red notebook on the shelf, and I grabbed it and grabbed a pen. Like everything else, all of my notebooks were trapped up in the apartment, and I was looking at an immediate future without being able to write down thoughts or song ideas.

There are a couple of pages in the notebook where I wrote the lyrics to a song called "She Loves the Sunset." To write the song, I had to wait until everybody else left Erica's parents' house. Even though I'm pretty good about writing around other people, I didn't have a guitar. It was the first time I'd been without a guitar since I was 12, so it was just going to be me sitting there singing. And that's weird.

After everyone was gone, just on a whim, I grabbed a marionette that Erica's parents had brought back from Mexico. It was a man who's holding a percussion instrument called a guiro - it's like a fish that has ridges on it, and he has a stick in the other hand that he rubs across the ridges. The guiro was only a couple of inches long. So I was taking the little stick and moving it across this tiny instrument.

I took what felt to me like a traditional Mexican mariachi-sounding melody, and I wrote the song using that tiny little marionette's hands. Using his hands -- because the instrument didn't detach! I had to be holding the marionette's hands to make it work.

The only other person in the house was Erica's grandma who, at the time, had just turned 90. She thought I was crazy. But she was very sweet. She could tell that I definitely needed to be doing this weird-looking thing."
His solo album, The Instigator, was released shortly after, and after reading his story, it kind of puts those songs in an entirely different perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment