Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Rewind: Television - Adventure

Television's Adventure isn't under-appreciated as much as it is unappreciated -- I mean in the most literal sense. As far as post-punk albums go, it's rarely mentioned, at least in light of the massive amount of critical acclaim Marquee Moon has garnered in the past three decades.

Adventure runs slightly more commercial, but I like its relative accessibility. Tom Verlaine's ace guitar work is still here, minus some of the "doodly-doodly-doo" (technical term) soloing on Marquee Moon. I'm not a musician, and most of my musical knowledge is limited to singing, but Tom Verlaine is one of my favorite guitarists. His style manages to be both technical and soulful -- thinking and feeling.

"Glory" is my top pick from this records. Someone once said this single song foreshadowed REM, and while I think that may be taking it a bit too far, the jangly sound is unmistakably familiar:

No comments:

Post a Comment