Wednesday, December 12, 2012

If I don't like it, then it's not feminist

This probably counters what I wrote yesterday, but Mikipedia wrote something on her blog  that I really want to address here, too. She says, "when women do things you don’t like, they are doing it for men, someone please give that school of feminism a name." While there's nothing wrong with pointing out the flaws in someone's argument, one of my biggest feminist pet-peeves is this idea that if you do something I don't like, or that is somehow "bad for feminism," it's only to win the approval of men. Wear bangs and like kittens? Well, of course it's only to prove how non-threatening you are. Like watching sports? Well, of course, it's only to prove how much of a "guy's girl" you can be. (I like kittens and baseball, so... huh?) Isn't being able to decide what kind of woman you want to be one the primary tenets of feminism?

No comments:

Post a Comment