Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Rewind: Lucinda Williams - S/T

Turning from a teenage girl into a woman in the early nineties, before the nineties were "The 90s," I've always regretted that I didn't have a "Liz Phair." Or a Courtney. Or an Alanis. Or a Kathleen. Either I was slightly too old for these artists to have made much of an impact on me (when you're young, there's a lifetime between seventeen and twenty-two), or I was unaware of their existence. I grew up on crappy 80s metal, eventually finding my way to less crappy 80s indie, but those were still "boy bands." Oh, I owe a lot of my musical knowledge to acts like REM and The Replacements, but when I hear other women's stories of how that one album changed their lives, I can't help but feel a little jealous. Turns out I had one in Lucinda William's self-titled  album from 1992.

No comments:

Post a Comment